Saturday, November 10, 2012

First Week of Work-placement at DUBAL Dubai Aluminum Company

On this semester I am entitled to a six weeks work placement experience at DUBAL Dubai Aluminum Company which started on the November 10, 2012 ending on December 13, 2012. The first day of my internship went very smooth at the Training and Development Department at DUBAL. 



My mentor at DUBAL Miss. Jamila Behzad was there to meet me and introduce me to all supervisors and normal employees in the department who were there welcoming me. We also looked at the work plan and went through it. And then, I was delighted to meet Miss. Reem Beljafleh manager of Scholarships and Performance Management. She described all what Scholarships and Performance Management are about.
I had very tiny knowledge about performance management but and I didn’t know how companies go through the process and what stages does it take. Scholarship opportunities are given to local high school graduates who are willing to work for DUBAL especially in the manufactory. She also gave me the time to have a look at all scholarship application forms and the rules of the company. I also had the chance to look and check applicants’ files and documents. And, contact them if there is a certain document missing or book them for the interview if they are applicable to the criteria of Scholarships at DUBAL. I had prior experience of handling phone calls at organizations and I was confident of my ability to handle this job. During this week I had to phone one applicant who is fully applicable to the rules of the company and I just had to book him for the interview. I called him and discovered that he has a problem in his back for which he has been rejected from different companies due to that problem. I felt so embraced and didn’t know how to reply to that applicant but then I controlled myself and booked him for a meeting telling him that he’ll get a confirmation call a day before the interview. Then I explained the situation to my mentor. She was happy for what I did and told me that she will get back to him later. 

I also faced few problems with data entering since I was not dealing with Microsoft Excel for a period. But, I was asking for my colleagues for help and they were very helpful. 

I am a very sociable person and shy at the same time. To overcome my shyness during the break I sit with other employees and have a little talk about different things. This is to break the boarders between us and be in exchangeable experiencing environment.
Skills that I have learnt are being on time which takes the first stage. DUBAL is very strict with timetable we have to be there at sharp 7:30 am and leave at 4:00pm. I am used to my late schedule at college and it was a bit challenging for me to wake up early in the morning. As days go by, it stared to be easy and I was getting used to it. 
During the rest of the work placement period, I am willing do my best the learnt all aspects of Human Resources and get the maximum experience I can have which will help me for my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment